12.13.2008

Hard Questions

I ran across a "blog" the other day (not really a blogger blog, but a Facebook note) where this person is really questioning using the Bible (especially the Old Testament) to refute homosexuality.

The basis of her argument is this: 'So you want to use Leviticus to tell the rest of society that homosexuality is wrong...okay, let's see what else Leviticus says." She then gives a couple of scriptures from Leviticus in an attempt to ruin the credibility of the Bible as a whole.

One of those scriptures is this:

"And as for your male and female slaves whom you may have--from the nations that are around you, from them you may buy male and female slaves. Moreover you may buy the children of the strangers who dwell among you, and their families who are with you, which they beget in your land; and they shall become your property." Lev. 25:44,45

Wow. I've read through the Bible before, and I don't remember this one. At first glance, this gal has an excellent point. Leviticus says homosexuality is wrong, and at the same time, it promotes slavery.

How does a Christian offer a loving answer to an extreme skeptic about a verse like this?

Trust me, I'm working on this one, and I think I've got the answer. But what about the church in general?

When people ask hard questions, are we willing to accept the challenge of getting an answer? So many times we as Christians look like dufases because we are not as well-read, nor do we know the Bible as well as skeptics.

What I got from the Lord is that I need to be diligent in getting answers to hard questions. And if that means research, reading, digging into my Bible, then I need to do it.

No comments: