12.09.2008

Money

But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and [into] many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is a root of all [kinds of] evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. (1 Timothy 6:9,10)

These are some great words from Paul. I've often thought about two phrases from this passage:

"But those who desire to be rich...." Do I desire to be rich? Is this what my life is all about? You can really work yourself to death trying to get rich. We can make money our god, following after it like our lives depend on it. And have you ever noticed that when it comes to worshipping false gods, we're really good at it?

"...peirced themselves through with many sorrows." Notice it doesn't say 'peirced themselves through with sorrow,' but "many sorrows." If you love money, and this is what your life is all about, you may as well go find a knife and stab yourself several times in the gut. It's pretty much the same thing. Following so hard after money can really do you in.

Several weeks ago I happened upon a show on TV called, "I Love Money." I maybe watched a total of 3 minutes of that show. I don't really know what it's about, but I don't think it would be worth my time to watch it, so I never have. But come on, really, I Love Money? Are you serious? That is the dumbest name for a show ever. But it just goes to show you where this country's heart is. And given the current economic status, I think we're peircing ourselves through with many sorrows.

No comments: